|HOME PAGE HISTORY ARCHAEOLOGY PROJECTS CONTACT|
|PRESENTATION HISTORY EVENTS PROJECTS VISITOR INFORMATIONS|
Inaugurated on may 11-th, 1967, in a building constructed in the second half of the XIX-th century, on cantacuzino cellars from the XVII-th century, The Museum Of Printing And Old Romanian Book shelters testimonies of one of the most profitable professions: printing.
Starting with the apparition of writing and continuing with the invention of the mobile-letters printing by Gutenberg in Germany (1400-1468) the museum shows prooves of the hard work done by printers like Macarie, Dimitrie Liubavici, Oprea Logofatul, Coresi, Antim Ivireanu, Mitrofan Gregoras, Meletie Macedoneanu.
The most important events that marked the history of the old romanian book were: the discovery of the paper, in the first decade of the second century AD, thanks to the chinese man TAI-LUN (105 AD) and the discovery of printing by Johann Gutenberg (1400-1468), german printer from Mainz, in 1445. The latter discovery compares, from a spiritual point of view, to the invention of writing.
The introduction of the printing in the romanian provinces, when it has been used in Europe for only half a century and the communication means were rudimentary, was facilitated by the love of romanian rulers for culture. They were honoured to help and support printers.
The evolution of the old book is considered to be finished around 1830, when three publications with regular appearances came out: “The Romanian Courier” (1829), edited by Ion Heliade Radulescu; “The Romanian Bee” (1829), lead by Gheorghe Asachi and “The Transylvania Newspaper” (1838), printed by Gheorghe Baritiu.